Monday, February 1, 2010

Singapore, land of the Lionmaid

"For some reason, my human mind is unable to comprehend why the Merlion aka Lionmaid is a symbol of historical grandeur and the pride and joy of all(most) Singaporeans. Well, as a Malaysian in a foreign country, what right do I have to judge the beautiful but weird looking sculpture.."
-unknown Malaysian

Yes it's true, I have no idea as well why the Lionmaid stands there but who cares? Singapore has been a truly enjoyable and wonderful host to it's fellow visitors which includes the two stooges, Jonah and myself. We traveled over-river to be part-time students at 4 Seas Bible College and full-time tourists. Due to time constraint and a pile of Greek homework waiting in my leather-bonded file, I will post a short summary of what I find interesting in my newfound home.

Food
Average. Trust me my fellow Malaysians, you'd appreciate the wanton mee down the dirty, smelly and mouldy alleyways when you get here. I haven't found anything that has amazed my tastebuds except for a Malaysian chef that cooks "mini-wok" food. But I have to compliment on the Economy Rice aka Mixed Vege Rice that the locals offer. For a reasonable price, you can get yourself a good and fulfilling meal that not only appeases the mouth but also your wallet. Apart from that, please stick to Chinese food when you're here. Indian food is ridiculously expensive and most locals go HUH when you mention "I want roti canai"

Public Transport
Exceedingly marvellous. Especially the SMRT (Singapore Mass Rapid Transport) which offers both trains and buses. Getting from one place to another without using a car has never been this easy. Back home, I usually get my bus after an hour's worth of waiting but here, you'd get your buses at the most 20 mins and trains at an amazing 5 to 6 minutes interval. Travelling should be no problem for almost anyone, be it Homer, Marge or Bart.

People
Friendly. Not much to be said about the average Singaporean except that they practise a higher level of "kiasu-ness" as compared to the average Malaysian. But don't be mistaken, it's this wonderful attribute that has driven this small island into a successful business hub and has shown the world that size truly doesn't matter. Once again, do not be deceived, I'm talking about country size but the rule still applies for horizontally challenged people.

Environment
Very good. When it comes to rubbish and littering, I can say that the average Singaporean will think thrice before throwing a piece of paper on the floor, much better than the average Malaysian that won't think before dumping a giant black bag of beer cans and leftovers at someone else's home. Apart from the clean and cozy surroundings, Singapore can boasts it's HUGE collection of high-rise buildings. It's like walking in a bamboo maze, you can't see anything apart from the clouds and the sun. Well, we can't blame an island half the size of Melaka that has 6 times it's population to not have this essential addition right?

Fellowship
Simply awesome. Nothing beats the harmonious and melodious singing here. Apart from the wonderful praises, I've gone tracting with the Jurong peeps. Trust me, scaling 6 high rise flats IS VERY VERY TIRING. DotA with the LAP youths was AMAZING! Now Jon Yang can believe his eyes when I say Weaver CAN go BEYOND GODLIKE HOLY SHIT SOMEONE KILL HIM!! and ULTRA KILLLL!!! and don't worry Isaac, I'll get you back for your "awesome combi" xD The LAP dudes and dudettes took Jonah and I out for a tour around Singapore too. We went to places like Marina Square, The Esplanade, Suntec City and other nice places. My gratitude goes to Jon Yang, Benjaming Kwan, Jun Wei, Ernest, Alan Poon, Justin Kwan, Eliza, Ser Ern, Bernice, Sheryl and Jasmine. We will be going for cycling at East Coast Park next Saturday with the LAP youths once more. You guys are the best xD

That's all from me now, pictures and more updates to come soon when I return to my motherland!

*poofies*

No comments: